June 22, 2011

The issue of color

As soon as I heard about designing this restaurant, I instantaneously got crazy ideas in my head. Or not so crazy, depending on who you are. I can count on both my hands how many people have walked into the site {friends, strangers, passersby} who have looked around, and although they liked what they saw, they still say so where is the color gonna be?

Well, let me tell you, my friends. The color is gonna be everywhere.


































Look at all that crazy color! To me, it's in the accents. Color is in the wood, in the different shades of grains. It's in the patterns, the combination of dark antique chair finish and raw sun bleached barn board. Even the white wall is color. It has shadows, it has nuance. No, there are no walls painted Tuscan red or yellow, but that only means that the colors in the space is vastly more complex.

So I realize that showing a paint sample on the computer is pointless. My screen is different than yours, and the camera simply can't accurately capture it. So really, why bother. But aside from that, here is my paint sample for a wall of wainscoting. And no, it's not black. And also no, it's not navy blue!


































Hopefully you don't think I'm insane. I have a vision! I'm working on it...

9 comments:

  1. Stick w/ your vision!
    That's what is going make this place unique and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be super duper fantastico..It's already absolutely tip top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 22, 2011

    Is that Baby Seal Black?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an extraordinarily distinctive vision, and I've really enjoyed following it. Keep it up! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 23, 2011

    @ Paul Behnke, a restaurant is not only its decor... looking forward to seeing how the traditional italian food and awesome service comes out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only vouch for the designer's brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw thanks Paul! And that color Anonymous asked about is called Night Shade. Simply a Behr color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That color is breathtaking. Good, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you like it Tess! Most people... do not. Most people can only see black...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.