June 21, 2011

Keepin' Montana green in California

It is a little odd that a sign for keep Montana green is written on wood, the very Anaconda Pine which I assume should be keeping Montana green? Oh well. Even though they are a contradiction {plus I didn't get  these from Montana, but instead found them in Virginia} I love these odd things and am working on finding them a nice spot. Amelie and I found these at the abandoned diner photographed here! See that huge pile of wood with my face barely visible {in total glee} behind it? That's where I pulled them from!


































And even though I said I'm "done" with the tables. Well, I'm not. Far from it. So today I spent the day adding the trim around a bunch of them. And boy, it's like framing a drawing, it just looks so good, so complete.




































While I was doing that, my contractor guy did this:


































This is the huge beam I found at a salvage yard for eight bucks. It's nine inches by three inches, and is exactly eight feet, three inches long, which somehow is exactly the length of the huge fireplace. So he notched it in a matter of minutes {yeah, minutes} and we slid it right over these two stones that project out and voila! A mantle!


































However, the mantle doesn't photograph well because there is a whole bunch of crap around it. It actually looks pretty bad right now. So, not to tease or anything, but I'll show you later. I just love notched beam photographs, I had to include them!

1 comment:

  1. KEEP MONTANA GREEN reminded me of the printed wood work ingrid jansen does. interesting, thank you.


    http://www.woodwoolstool.com/prod_signs.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.