September 22, 2011

life in a brooklyn box

Well, it's been a few weeks since I returned from California and my lovely restaurant. I miss it terribly, but it's like a relationship: with time, all things heal. In the meantime, I'm catching up on the the Brooklyn summer that I missed the entire five and a half months I was gone, building, building, building. So, how's il vecchio doing, you may wonder? Well. It's. Doing. Great!

Now remember, this is not New York. This is Pacific Grove, California. It's near-ish San Francisco, yes, but by no means is this town bustling. Sidewalks roll up at around eight or even earlier. There's hardly anybody walking around on the streets -- even when it is a Saturday! So we opened this restaurant with a business plan that was rotating around a medium to small amount of customers coming in to eat on, say, a Wednesday evening. But, this restaurant has been, from the first three days we opened the doors, exactly what I would call bustling!

Apparently {this is what I am told since I'm no longer there} people come in the moment the doors are open at five, and they are waiting in line to be seated all the way until ten. Even on a Tuesday. Even on a Wednesday! It's phenomenal. It's almost unheard of. It makes me, so, so, happy!

So aside from getting the daily updates on business over the phone, I've been doing a lot of two things: one, is relaxing. And two is {you guessed it} building! And with building inevitably comes rearranging my apartment to accommodate those things that I build. This is, after all, New York, and I no longer have the privilege of possessing a twenty-five-hundred square-foot restaurant site that I may do with as I please. Nope!

Because a blog post isn't a blog post without photographs, here's a little something:

















 
 
And yep, there's a turquoise triangle in this one too.


































Oh! And I built this lamp too! -- though not very recently. I made it from found metal scraps and an old bunt cake pan. It's all bolted together so it moves!


So until I build again, 

Ariele

13 comments:

  1. So gorgeous. You make me want to start building. How did you get started, and what's a good first project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah, you should definitely start a project! I'd say build some shelves to start. All you need is a hand saw, a drill, and screws, all of which are good basic tools to own anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been checking your blog and hoping you would post again. Thanks! It's great to get an update on the restaurant and get a peek into what you've been working on. Our family will be taking my parents to the restaurant Saturday night. Sounds like we should try to make reservations! I'm happy to hear that it's doing well. I'm SOOO looking forward to our dinner there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep posting ! we want to stay in touch and know what you are creating and see how you live and what comes next ? a cookbook ?
    tables for sale ? a furniture line ? another restaurant ? more of those leave things seen in the blog of the past ? you are so totally inspiring, that we just want to make sure we know what you are up to even if it is walking down the street in ole brooklyn ! how about a store of your made things ? even online store ? do you do custom orders ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thank you! Originally I wasn't going to continue posting, but it just felt too wrong to stop! So thank you for letting me know that you all still enjoy it. Means a lot to me! And yes, I do make custom furniture. And yes, I will continue to post my life, adventures, and building in Brooklyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yippee !!!!!

    we wait with baited breath to see what comes next and more of what you
    probably already have done .

    inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear the restaurant is a hit! How could it not be? I totally want to eat there!!

    Your builds are so impressive, love that lamp!! Glad to see you're still posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! So glad to see more posts and more building! The cabinet is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the secret mini triangle by the leg.

    I'm so happy you've decided to linger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to think of you at the center of the universe again, after your excellent adventure. keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you had to built furniture now and start a new business like Piet Hein Eek...have a look to his job!!! as stunning as yours!!!! J'adore!!!!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRAVO....!!! VERY lovely lamp...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phaedra JessenOctober 22, 2011

    We ate at your restaurant last night. Second to your tables, we loved those industrial mixer lamps! Windows, wall, bar, and especially the "old door as bench". Awesome work! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.