December 8, 2011

shop view

{the clean part above the mess}



















I've been conjuring up a dust storm in the shop today, working hard to make a few more boards. A few of you have first dibs, so I'll be emailing you shortly, but un-claimed boards should up in the shop tomorrow!

On a separate note, I have been making this for the last few years, and it's definitely one of the best chicken recipes ever. Yep. Ever! It's my father's recipe, and its so amazing I refuse to cheat on this chicken recipe with any other. It's. So. Good. Try it!
















Brined Chicken

4 cups water
2 tblsp salt
3 tblsp sugar
chopped garlic
rosemary
onions and potatoes 


Mix salt and sugar in water until dissolved. Throw in garlic and rosemary, place raw chicken in brine overnight. Turn chicken after 12 hours if not fully submerged.

Drain chicken, keeping garlic pieces and rosemary. Place chicken in large cookware. Fill the bottom with chopped potatoes and onions, which have been mixed with drained garlic and rosemary. Bake at 350 or 400 (my oven sucks so it depends on yours) until chicken is golden and the juices have filled bottom of pan. You know it's done if you pull a leg and it almost comes free. 

So freaking delicious! I'm sure you'll like.

11 comments:

  1. Almost a normal roast chicken, except for the sugar.... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, is it weird that that's the recipe I'm using for dinner tomorrow? The dinner that I invited you to?? Of course it'll have a French twist... Using herbes de Provence instead of rosemary. You'll tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelie: I can't wait to try the French version! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must add that, like everything you've ever cooked for me, this is the best recipe ever. I've used it for turkey too last thanksgiving and it was heavenly. People, try it out! So easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariele-
    This is reminiscent of the rotisserie chicken with potatoes I used to buy at lunchtime when I was attending architecture school in Rome! The juices from the garlic and rosemary chicken would dribble down onto the potatoes on the rotisserie floor. Ohhhhhh so wonderful. I will try your recipe---Thanks for sharing! ~Sparky
    http://sparky-youngbloodstudios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please oh please oh please... I've scoured your comments and read through your posts, dying to know how you made that wall to no avail. I will pass on to you my first born (she's 19 now and quite ornery, will eat you out of house and home, but hey...). Just please tell me how you made that wall with the swirls and creative genius oozing hence forth.

    If it is already somewhere on here, please just grant me pity and tell me where. I can't find it. I'll blame it on the aforementioned daughter (one of three) who are robbing me of my few remaining brain cells.

    Please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sparky: This chicken would taste better when eaten in Rome, for sure. It must have been amazing! Let me know how close this recipe comes to your memory :)

    Tara: That wall is my thesis *ahem* masterpiece, left over from a few years back. I spent about two months making it, hours and hours and hours. It's made from eucalyptus leaves that I collected in California! It's on canvas, so it crunchily rolls up to be "portable", if you can call a three foot thick thirteen feet long roll portable at all. So, it's leaves! Yep. Just leaves. Glad you like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that I have read all about the leaves, I would love a more close up view of the fabulous leaf wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne-Marie: Sure! I'll do a close-up post of the leaf wall sometime soon, per your request! It's true though, I've never really shown it but in backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tried your recipe on a turkey breast tonight and it was SO yummy! I will definitely use it again. Thanks for all the great posts! You have such a wonderful attitude; your blog always gives me a lift :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.