December 11, 2011

the wall

I've had many-a-peeps ask what is that wall behind you! when I post photographs of my shop. Well, here's some details and a brief explanation of this crazy thing.




















One). Yes, I made it. Two). It took me about a month. Three). It's made from eucalyptus leaves. And below is a shot from years ago when it was first completed. It had way more color back then! {and no nails rudely stabbing through it, no tools hanging from it, no piles of wood blocking it}. It's become a mere backdrop now, but I like it even better this way, incorporated totally and utterly into my daily life. 

















So, there you have it. A tiny mystery explained.

12 comments:

  1. omg...just amazing!!!! is it smell good? you just miss a Koala now!!!!
    You are such a creative girl honey!!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's beautiful. I love the movement... I'm pinning this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing how you did this with rest of us mere mortals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAH! Thanks people, you really are the best. Yes, it used to smell good, but no longer. A Koala would definitely eat this up, though I used to have a parrot and he quite enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It's fantastic, I looked at it too and thought it must be wood chips. Would never have guessed eucalyptus leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can send you some eucalyptus leaves from sunny Sydney if you ever need some! It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting this! I was just emailing your site to my sister, and thinking "I really need to figure out how to make that wall." It's amazing. Given that it's made of leaves, has it gotten more fragile over time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone!

    M. -- I'm happy that you like it! Just keep in mind, if you do make one like mine, to credit back to me please. It is, after all, my thesis, and when "art" is copied the lines blur between what is acceptable and not -- but thanks again for loving it! It has gotten more fragile and it's crumbling a bit, but mostly because I've abused it!! I think if I'd treated it better it would still be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting me know! And for clarifying - I would hate to take any credit away from you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing. I love your blog and work <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did you affix the leaves to the wall?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.