January 25, 2012

a tool of the trade

I'm super excited, because I finally bought myself a little present.









































Perhaps I am alone in this, but it's like when your kitchen sponge is definitely past it's prime and it still takes you two weeks to replace it. Well, that's what I was dealing with here. I'd had this misbehaving, horrid, forty dollar jig saw for an embarrassing few too many years. It screamed and spat splinters and yanked me around like I was using a jackhammer instead of the itty-bitty, hand-held piece of junk it really was. Yes, it put a little bit of hate in my heart every time I touched it. Why did I let this go on? Why!

But now I've finally got my smooth sailing, quiet, cooperative new jig saw, and cutting these is enjoyable! {p.s. look at the subtle pattern in the sanded bark of this ash wood. Isn't it incredible?}





14 comments:

  1. It's so pretty, almost has a scalloped pattern to it. I adore these ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me! These are getting better and better. I love the bark and your little kitty cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yossy! My kitty has gotten used to the noise of the tools and loves to hang out and observe. He's a great shop cat!

      Delete
  3. They are gorgeous. I love the different shapes and tones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos with your petite feet remind me of this photographer's work: dennismaitland.com (or his of yours)

    What do you use to finish your boards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh his photographs are great! I love foot shots.

      I generally leave my boards unfinished for whoever buys them to decide, since it darkens the wood significantly. I recommend walnut oil, but a butchers block wax works nicely as well since walnut is a little pricey.

      Delete
  5. How nice is that tool!!!! i am still hesitate to buy one!!!! btw happy to read that i am not alone to prefer shopping in Tools Shops than in clothes shop!!!! we are just crazy girls my dear....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your work so much. I awe at your talent and passion for wood. My twin sister is into woodwork as well so I'm always sending her links to your stuff. You've got quite the twist to it and I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you SO much Meg! Happy to hear there's yet another awesome girl-wood-worker out there. Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, your work is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good choice Ariele!!! Dewalt made good tools...
    Happy B .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking to buy a new jigsaw myself! How do you like this one so far? The reviews i've read online either loved it or thought it was completely inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this jigsaw! The most important thing to me is variable speeds, and this one is very easy to control. It's heavy too, which makes it cut smoothly without much shaking. I give it my thumbs up!

      Delete
  10. I have the same jigsaw. I've had it for over a year. I really like it. I bought it for cutting out pieces to build Adirondack chairs, but I use it for all sorts of projects. It keeps a good straight cut - doesn't wander much. Love the work you do Ariele!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.