March 11, 2012

beekeeping, woodworking










































My rooftop cheese board sanding was interrupted the other day when the hatch opened and my neighbor stepped out. He donned his mask and I grabbed my camera, since it was such a beautiful day the bees were out and active, so active, actually, that he needed to add another wooden box onto his hive {proper terminology here is totally unavailable}. Basically, the bees needed more space. His particular type of bees are calm and friendly -- in fact, I've seen him do this before without a veil and without gloves. I was so close to the hive that bees were bouncing off my face and a few were briefly caught in my hair. I was a little timid at first, but grew confident as they hummed around me as though I was not there, peaceful and polite. In the summer he gives us jars of honey and every time it's a different flavor, a different color, so delicious we only eat it with a spoon and refuse to waste it on anything else. Liquid gold, from the trees in our very backyards. Beautiful. It was a classic Brooklyn moment, beekeeping on the rooftops.

Oh, and P.S. Then some table making.

10 comments:

  1. you are such a brave girl!!!!! the last table is fantastic!!!!!
    have a sweet sunday
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of beekeeping, I'm looking for a beekeeper for the old factory I told you. But finding a rooftop/backyard beekeeper in Rome is a little bit harder than to find one in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bees would be an amazing addition to your awesome factory! You could, possible, learn about it yourself and have a hive or two. I'm sure you could find a few people interested in learning too...

      Delete
  3. Those boxes are called supers! My in-laws keep bees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that's just so awesome. i think of all the generations of pigeon keepers. i sing Up on the Roof. i think of all the beekeepers in paris.

    give your neighbor a big thumbs up for me.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/2009/0929/paris-rooftops-abuzz-with-beekeeping

    ReplyDelete
  5. friendly bees?! what is this you speak of?

    though honestly, what an amazing situation you've got. perhaps a rooftop party is in order with homemade baked bread, homemade goat cheese and your neighbor's honey all served atop your handmade bread boards. if that's not a coming together of talents extraordinary, i wouldn't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh does that mean you bake bread and make homemade goat cheese? YES PLEASE! Please bring those things here this instant!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Don't know if this is any kind of helpful but saw someone on craiglist looking to get rid of reclaimed wood and thought of your blog
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/zip/2906571818.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROOFTOP APIARY? Wonderful. Buzz Buzz.

    http://thewalkup.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.