April 26, 2012

make it round and wrap it up

{with the help of some upholstery tacks}








































I love round tables. I grew up eating all my meals on a brightly painted, round turquoise metal patio table, that was appropriately moved indoors and raised to the status of dining room table because of it's awesomeness.  It had the hole in the middle for the umbrella and everything, which we sometimes stuck candles in or accidentally dropped food through, depending. I remember the old green enamel light that hung above it, much like the antique ones I have now, and the corner bench we sat upon, upholstered with beautifully textured stripes and kilim pillows.

Building this table, I had it propped up in my dining room on a stool, with my normal table pushed aside to make space, it made me realize that I think I want a round table of my own. Some rooms just feel better with the smooth curve of such a centerpiece to soften the space, and I think my dining room is among them. It took me seeing it here to realize this.

Oh, and dear upholstery tacks, you rock. My clamps weren't even long enough to clamp around the  damn table to attach the trim, but you upholstery tacks did the job in their place! Glorified little brass nails of joy. Gotta love 'em.


21 comments:

  1. beautiful beautiful beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is gorgeous! you and your blog are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The composition on this one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good looking. Do you ever see yourself employing op-art patterns with the lathe? Seems like it could be a natural progression for your medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have definitely considered it and I agree that it might be a natural progression. I think I will some day, for sure!

      Delete
  5. Great legs! I love how the tacks tie in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it turned out so goods. what an amazing table. great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm LOVING these round tables! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i too prefer round tables. i love my lines and angles, but when it comes to matters of the heart (which i very much think food and conversation is), seeing people face to face without shoulders and shoulders in right angles makes food/people that much more near (and dear!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following your blog from behind the shadows for quite some time but this really deserves a comment: I LOVE this table!! It's simply gorgeous and you are very talented! Question: is that a photo of the table on a stool or are those the actual legs you put it with? Because it really works and is such a beautiful mix of industrial/natural. Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This table top IS actually sitting on a stool although I totally agree that it works! Too bad I love my stool too much to donate it to the cause ;)

      Delete
    2. Of course! Perhaps one day you can use similar legs for a round table of your own :)

      Delete
  10. Your work is so, incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your work and your blog, and I think this round table is really excellent!

    I'm also a designer and I too love the look of the raw wood, which means I've been thinking about the varnish 'problem', in that it darkens the wood colouration so much. Have you considered the possibility of adding plaster dust or some sort of white powder to the first layer of varnish, in order to keep some of the muted tones? Or would that feel dishonest to the work? I'd be interested in your thoughts as I'm sure you've gone through the possibilities.

    Thanks for sharing your work, your attitude and process are as inspiring as the results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That table is killer! The chevrons translate so well to the round shape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. one of my fave!!! love round tables!!! and with those nails..fantastic!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad I read the comments.

    Your gorgeous table top looks amazing on the stool. I'm thinking you need to pair with a metal worker to make similar legs for the table. They look so amazing together! I would totally buy one! I love all your wood work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so very very excited to have this table in our living room - sarah can't stop checking your blog from work, because the pictures are so beautiful.

    We like the stool as a base (but won't try to steal it :) - any chance we can keep the upholstery tacks though? they look pretty awesome around the edge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerli! I am SO happy that you both love the table. YES! We are definitely keeping the upholstery tacks, definitely. I still don't have a base yet, and it's driving me crazy!! ARGH!!

      Delete
  16. Incredible work! Are you gluing the wooden pieces down or are you tacking them with very small nails? Either way the result is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.