April 9, 2012

to west again

{a sunset, a heavenly tart, and the general feelings of joy}


































































It's never a simple thing returning to a place where you've spent six months, thirteen hours a day, seven days a week, building, sweating, worrying, jumping with joy, happiness, exhaustion, excitement and pride. I've never dedicated more energy to anything in my life as I have to il vecchio. And now I'm back for a visit. And it's marvelous. And odd. And all sorts of things.  

Being back, I feel happy and useless. It's a funny thing. It's like my child that's grown up, and he only sorta needs me. I spent most of today photographing it and just sitting, observing. I ate the most incredible spinach and ricotta ravioli, an insane strawberry tart {three pieces!} and hung out with all the delightful new people working there that I've never met before. And after swiftly whisking away the two horrid ficus plants that had crept their way in without my watchful eyes to keep them out, I replaced them with those lovely rambling yellow roses from the backyard fence, I felt even better. It was spring, I was relaxing, I had just eaten a meal that had topped any I'd ever had, and I was watching this well-oiled-machine work wonders and enchant all who enter it.

Tables and headboards and commissions and emails, they will all just have to wait for now. This trip, my focus is on eating pasta.

18 comments:

  1. Anne-MarieApril 09, 2012

    Yay! Welcome back to California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! My little sis and I are visiting the restaurant this week, even more excited for the food now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed keeping up with the progress of that place. I think it's awesome that you documented everything. so smitten with your work...

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I lived near there I would be a regular. Your table and wall are stunning, and I like the old portraits and mix of chairs. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ariele! The restaurant looks amazing, it must be so satisfying to see all of your hard work being put to such good use. Have a great trip out west and steal that strawberry tart recipe for me! It will be a little while before the berries arrive on the east coast, but I want to be ready when they do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images Ariele! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to Monterey! We'll definitely be stopping by for some dinner and to say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "happy and useless" seems the perfect way to describe your situation. though, you're clearly not useless as those roses look and sound so much better than a planted ficus! enjoy your pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi from a fan in fort greene! i am headed to big sur for memorial day weekend (yay!) and plan on making a stop at il vecchio. my boyfriend's aunt sent us an issue of edible monterey thinking that it would be up my alley and i opened it to find a piece on you, one of my regular reads. so she was more right than she even knew. enjoy your time out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh, sounds (and looks) lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ariele, greetings!
    It was such a treat for my husband and I to meet you
    on Sunday. Easter has never been so much fun!
    And I agree, the Banksia roses looked gorgeous and are
    definitely better than a ficus! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. welcome back to il vecchio!!!!reading you i just can feel your feelings... such good ones!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the result of my find on the beach....
    http://www.mechantstudio.com/2012/04/lampe-contraste-contrast-lamp.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is just gorgeous! I love all the types of wood against each other. The window wall is so cleverly built and I really enjoyed and was inspired by your recent apartment feature on Design Sponge.
    Thanks!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'll be back in ca for a friend's wedding in august and hopefully will have the chance/time to come up to il vecchio if time allowed to see your beautiful work in person. it's a strange thing to complete something so demanding of one's time and the finished product no longer needs the hand holding we're so accustomed to...it's interesting to me since that is the point at which that very thing ceases to be an extension of us but becomes its own entity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, such a big congrats, it looks fab! forget about emails for sure and enjoy the pasta
    x kat

    ReplyDelete
  17. your wooden work is amazing and I've been longing for trying to make wooden furniture by myself if I have the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you did great work !
    ...and i´m sure you still do!
    congratulations from germany
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.