June 14, 2012

do it yourself

{proof that we are really, really stubborn}




















We thought about hiring people to help us. We really did. In fact, I was this close to getting some guys in there that could probably bust out these walls in a day and a half. But, you know, we like to do things the hard way. Nine days of pain, exhaustion and suffering? Pffsh! No big whoop.











































So, yes. We built these walls ourselves. Just me and Amelie. If you don't mind me saying so, we freaking rocked it. Sure, it took us a few days longer than we hoped, but I don't think I've ever felt more accomplished. What am I most proud of? Somehow, we managed to get twenty four sheets of drywall onto a cart, into a van, out of the van, into another cart, into an elevator, then into a second elevator, and somehow managed to get it inside our studio. If you have never lifted a sheet of drywall, that shit is heavy. And the crowd of guys who gathers to watch in amazement as two girls miraculously lift this stuff isn't exactly enjoyable, but I suppose I might stare too if the roles were reversed. Who knows!


Then we spent way too long spackling and sanding the cracks and joints {which were imperfect to begin with}but the fun part comes after the patching dries: paint.


























And what could be better than going out onto the roof after a long hot day inside, and watching the city spread out six floors beneath you and the sun set over the buildings. It's hard to believe we are lucky enough to see it. I mean really, can it get any more Brooklyn than this?

 



Definitely go here to see more amazing photographs of our progress, and, yes indeed, our insanity.

23 comments:

  1. you've done a hell of a job and as we in Germany say: you guys can grow at least 10 inches height. it looks great! gives me an extra kick to only look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I can't wait to see what else you ladies do with the space.

    I'm a huge fan of your work btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are inspiring, but I know my limitations and it is most certainly drywall! But you "rocked" it ;) - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the space, soon enough you'll outgrow it to.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cool! i'd have gladly volunteered my help - i still will if you need any. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. you girls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock!!!! I'm cheering you on from Albuquerque!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a dream. I've been on the lookout for a studio myself and I have to say, this is the perfect inspiration for some of my own do-it-yourself insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! Definitely inspiring in that you wanted to do it so you did! BTW, I love that wall lighting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. jesus effing christ girl, kudos times a million over for AN AMAZING JOB. i seriously only ever dream of the sh*t you're pulling here, but the fact that you've actually done it is amazing, wow. wow, wow, wow. i hope for the day that i can actually see the studio in person, disclaimer that my very body and mind might actually explode from all the awesome if/when i actually do (i'm serious!).

    ku-freaking-dos, you damn right earned that sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Amazing the room and the view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, incredible work ladies! Insane determination

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! Drywall is totally a beotch - but your hard work has definitely paid off. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey im a 23 year old woman from sweden studying to become a furnite carpenter. i moved to the countryside, to start doing what ive dreaming of for years. i found your blog a year ago or something like that, and i just wanna say that i love love love your work. i find so much new inspiration and ideas from you, and even if im surrounded (everyday) by teachers and kick-ass classmates who knows their shit, i still find it hard as hell sometimes. and you learned by doing, amazing! thats why i wanna say this to you: you go girl, you are awesome, i think you are great doing what you love even if it feels impossible sometimes! because after all we do love working w wood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, I quite agree - nothing quite as satisfying as building your own space and walls yourself :) GO GO GO Ariele and Amelie! You two are so cool. Enjoy your new space and the Brooklyn sunset - yowza, it's amazing! Katie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. the framing and the walls look awesome - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i <3 brooklyn. you rock in every possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i <3 brooklyn. grrl power 4 eva.

    ReplyDelete
  19. congrats on the new space and i'm SO GLAD the green lamp found a good home! it looks bangin on your wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys are killing it! The little snaps Amelie has been sharing on Instagram are amazing and I can't wait to see your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Cheers & whoops" from Sweden! I get very inspired. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJune 30, 2012

    AMAZING!! I feel gratified just watching. Good for you and Amelie!!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.